Fins for MacAbby

p1030022-banner

Note: part of this used to be in one of my Gab Currentlies, 
but I wanted to give these projects their own post.

A quick Pinterest search for custom fins yielded far to many mandalas for my taste, so I thought I’d go more tropical island-themed for Mac and Abby’s fins. I had a lot of fun researching tropical fauna, Tikis and Polynesian textile patterns, though I ended up not using much of the textiles, sadly.

My original plan for Mac’s 2 + 1 setup was to have the Tiki look more like the traditional wood, but I had to scrap that idea. The brown wasn’t standing out enough from the dark blue . I realised too late that I could have gone with orange, instead of brown, but I like how it the white makes the statue look like it’s glowing.

tikifins-web

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with Abby’s sidebites. I originally had something different in mind, but the side fins didn’t really give me enough space to execute it well. Will shelve that for a future project, maybe? 😛

p1030021-web

Will be clearcoating these tomorrow and then I can start on my last commission for the year!

Mer-Medusa

This has actually been finished since Tuesday morning, but the lighting’s been terrible for photos because of the rainy weather.

I have been itching to experiment with painting on surfboards since I started surfing so I am beyond stoked that Nikko entrusted his board to me.

.

He wanted Medusa but with sea snakes, so y’all know I was obsessed from the get go. I’m glad we were on the same page of not wanting the design to take up the entire bottom of the board. I think surfboards look great as they are, so I prefer surfboard art that still lets details of the board come through.

I had originally thought I’d go all-out snake-mermaid, but it went in a different direction during the sketching process. I took a lot of inspiration from traditional Japanese and monster pin-up tattoos, which I think lent itself well to the limited colours I had to work with.

img_4002

Which brings me to the struggle that was real: Paint markers. If we’re friends on social media, then you’ve witnessed my various meltdowns while I was experimenting and figuring out how to work with the markers. I’ve had to start over a few times, but I think it came out alright in the end. It’s the most fun I’ve had working on a piece in a long time. What I’m particularly patting myself on the back for is that I didn’t fall back on my usual crutches of repeating patterns and hair that takes up more than half the canvas. 😛

p1030005-web

p1030007-web