I spent the last week or so re-reading the Harry Potter series and I’m so full of feelings, I don’t know what to do with myself. This isn’t the first time I’ve re-read the books but this is the first time I’ve re-read everything in order.
I’ve probably read Goblet of Fire the most times, not because it’s my favourite, but because it’s the least stressful and the first time we see Rowling’s universe expand to include other countries. On the other hand, this only the second time I’ve read Order of the Phoenix, and I was reminded why. Not only does Umbridge still make me so angry, it’s also the book where Sirius dies.
Up until Chamber of Secrets, my favourites were the Weasley twins. Then Prisoner of Azkaban happened, and Sirius bumped them down to the number two spot.
I finished The Deathly Hallows early this afternoon (or yesterday afternoon by the time I publish this), and I’m re-mourning the deaths of characters I’d gotten over years ago. I’ve been reading Marauder-era fanfiction to drown my sorrows, but it’s not really cheering me up.
In the meantime, I thought I’d fill out The Ultimate Harry Potter tag:
1) Favourite book?
Prisoner of Azkaban.
2) Least favourite book?
Order of the Phoenix, for two reasons: One, is admittedly pretty shallow; It’s the book where Sirius dies. Two, fucking Umbridge, so stressful.
3) Favourite movie?
Prisoner of Azkaban. I think to expect a movie of a book to be 100% accurate to the source material is to be disappointed. I thought Alfonso Cuaron made intelligent decisions in his adaptation, and the cinematography was fantastic. The freeze-frame ending was stupid, but still the best made movie of the series.
4) Least favourite movie?
Half-Blood Prince. It was all over the place.
5) Favourite quote?
“What’s life without a little risk?” – Sirius Black
I don’t even remember if this is in the books, or if it’s just from the movies.
6) Favourite Weasley?
Gred and Forge. Although I feel like I’d like Charlie too, if we got more of him.
7) Favourite female character?
Minerva Mcgonagall, in all her tartan glory.
8) Favourite villain?
Draco Malfoy. He is my son. I love the Malfoys, actually. Do the Malfoys even count, considering they were redeemed in the end?
9) Favourite male character?
Sirius Black. Because I’m sure you didn’t see that coming at all.
10) Favourite professor?
Again, McGonagall. She reminds me of my favorite teachers. The kind who’s no nonsense, doesn’t give out easy grades, but you learn so much from.
11) Would you rather A) wash Snape’s hair or B) spend a day listening to Lockhart rant about himself?
A. Washing Snape’s hair, however difficult he’d make it, will over quickly.
12) Would you rather duel A) an elated Bellatrix or B) and angry Molly?
A. If there’s anything we learned from the Harry Potter series, it’s don’t mess with the mothers.
13) Would you rather travel to Hogwarts via A) Hogwarts Express or B) Flying Car?
A. For comfort.
14) Would you rather A) Kiss Voldemort or B) give Umbridge a bubble bath?
A. I think we all agree on hating Umbridge.
15) Would you rather A) ride a Hippogriff or B) ride a Firebolt?
Ohhh, this is tough. Hippogriff, if I really had to choose.
16) Is there a character you felt differently about in the movies?
Ginny. She was so badly written in the movies. Ginny deserved better.
17) Is there a movie you preferred to the book?
The movies made a valiant effort, but I’ll always prefer the books.
18) Richard Harris or Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
I kinda like them both? Harris only did two movies, so it’s an unfair choice.
19) Your top thing (person or event) that wasn’t in the movies that you wanted there the most?
Co-ed Beauxbatons and Durmstrang! I absolutely hated how they made Them all-girl and all-boys schools.
20) If you could remake any of the Harry Potter movies which would it be?
I guess Half-Blood Prince.
21) Which house was your first gut feeling you’d be a part of?
22) What house did you get sorted into on Pottermore?
23) Which class would be your favourite?
Defense Against the Dark Arts or Potions.
24) Which spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
Accio. Because I am a lazy ass.
25) Which character do you think you’d instantly become friends with?
Luna or Ginny. Most of my friends kind of fit their trope.
26) If you could own one of the three Hallows, which would it be?
The Invisibility Cloak. For all those I-hate-the-world days.
27) Is there any aspect of the books you’d want to change?
The epilogue. It was so unnecessary.
28) Favourite Marauder?
29) If you could bring one character back to life, which would it be?
It’s a toss up between Sirius or Fred. I can’t stand the idea of George losing his twin so young. I also hate that Sirius and Harry didn’t get to be the family they wanted.
30) Hallows or Horcruxes?
Hallows. Who wants to live forever?