This was originally just going to be just an FB status update, but it quickly developed into something too long for that haha!
I just finished watching the two-part finale to the series and that was the first time I’ve been moved to tears by an Avatar episode since the Legend of Aang. I’m so happy the creators finally found their stride with “Legend of Korra”.
Book One: Air was good, save for the last few episodes. I thought the twist behind Amon’s true power was a bit of a cop-out, and the ending was a weak resolution to how intense the beginning of the series was. Book Two: Spirits was forgettable. I enjoyed moments of it. Mostly when the episode involves Eska and Desna. Or Bumi. I guess the best thing out of it were the origin episodes of the first Avatar.
But Book Three, man. FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC. It was well-paced, with just the right balance between intensity and its light-hearted moments, and most importantly, familiar.
I don’t know if it’s the roadtrip theme, or the return to Ba Sing Se, but LoK has finally started to feel like a continuation of A:TLA and living up to what made it so wonderful. In a way, I guess Nickelodeon’s decision to remove A:TLOK from TV and release it online was a good thing, because the creators didn’t have to tone down the darker direction the show is taking.
This season also had the best villains ever.
So on to more spoilery thoughts (If you haven’t watched any of Book Three yet, especially the finale, consider this your warning):
- I disagree with Bumi getting air bending. My headcanon has always been Bumi, as the only non-bender, being Sokka’s heir: Bumi getting special treatment from Uncle Sokka; Learning tactics and strategy from him, which was a huge part in him becoming a commander in the United Forces. Bumi getting bending doesn’t really significantly add anything to the story other than wish fulfilment.
- TOPH IS ALIVE AND SHE WAS A PLAYAH~! I thought it was just awesome that Toph’s daughters had different dads. I look forward to her making an appearance in the next season. I hope she does because otherwise, what’s the point in revealing she’s still alive?
- I need to know where Zuko got his dragon. I thought Ran and Shaw were the last dragons left? Unless Zuko’s is one of the two? Idek
- Tenzin’s torture scene omg my heart
- BOLIN GETTING LAVA BENDING \m/
- P’Li’s death OMFG
- Zaheer flying wtf hahaha. But I was excited to finally see advanced airbending techniques. It’s unfair for the other elements to have all the fun.
- Like Zaheer sucking out the air in the Earth Queen’s lungs like whoa
- It sucks that P’Li, Ming Hua, and Ghazan are dead because I wanted to see more of them. Back story pls.
- For a moment there, I thought Korra was going to sacrifice herself to keep out of the avatar state and the season would end with the birth of the next Avatar. But I suppose that’s too dark, even for web release hahaha!
- I was holding back tears during the start of Jinora’s anointment and then legit bawling when she revealed her shaved head and tattoos omg
Even though Bryan Konietzko has confirmed a fourth season on tumblr, I hope the series’ shift to web release isn’t a sign that the franchise might get cancelled. I need Book Four like air!